Saturday, November 7, 2009

Kiernan takes a walk

It's getting colder. Time to bring the boat to Wolcott for winter storage. My friend Mike's father has some space, so I typically store my boat there for the winter. I hook the boat up and ask Kiernan if he wants to go for a ride in the truck. This is a big deal for a dog I guess, so he starts bounding around. I load him into the truck and off we go.

When we arrive in Wolcott I unhook the boat, and see Kiernan standing next to the truck. How did you get out here I say. He looks at me, thinks its a big game and starts running around. I call him, but being off the leash he feels he doesn't have to listen anymore. Off he goes running towards the woods. Freedom! Into the woods he goes.

My attempts to catch up to him prove fruitless. I quickly lose sight of him. Wandering around, calling his name for about an hour I get a sinking feeling. Mike tells me of a pack of wild dogs that lives in the woods, the stress level isn't getting any better.

I couldn't find him. Mike and his neighbor tell me they will keep an eye out for him, and I head for home. Driving down the road pretty miserable, my cell phone rings. Kiernan (now known as Psycho) has come back, but he won't come to them. I had better get back there pretty quick.

Did you ever notice that when you are in a hurry, everyone drives the speed limit. Don't these people realize I have to go save Psycho! I pull into the dirt road with dust and dirt flying everywhere. Mike and his neighbor tell me Psycho has just run back into the woods. They say he has only cruised back in about two minutes before I arrived.

I call his name. There he is! He sees me and comes running. Food guy is back, thank God! He runs right over to me and jumps on me. Apparently he found the swamp, and is covered with mud. Its ok, I give him a big hug and hook up the leash. He is more than ready to go home. he jumps into the truck and curls up on the seat. Psycho, and now my truck, smell of a swamp.

So now I am waiting for Kiernan (I gave him his old name back) while he gets a bath. Its amazing how attached you get to your pets. I am going to finish my cup of coffee and go pick up Kiernan. When I get back maybe I will throw the ball around the back yard for him. It doesn't matter, Kiernan is safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment