Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Dog is an Addict

When I started this page I wanted to talk about my home town, Waterbury. However, I just keep writing about my pets. The things they do is just so funny I have to share it.

Several days ago I noticed the cats (Kiwi and Crystal) needed food. Kiernan was getting a bit low on his supply also. Having the day off I decided to visit my friend who recently opened a pet food store. So Kiernan and I loaded into the truck and off we went.

Arriving at the store we were warmly greeted by my friend Heather. I haven't seen her in several years, although she insists that she saw me at a fire not long ago. We talked while Kiernan enjoyed a treat. What is that I inquired? She answered foie gras for dogs. Seeing my quizzical look she explained that it was duck. Oh. Duck for a dog. Ok.

I explained that I needed food for the dog and the two cats. She recommended a food called Taste of the Wild. She told me that it had no grain and was very nutritious. It was a little bit more expensive than the Purina food that I was feeding him but he apparently wouldn't need to eat as much. She gave me some samples to take home. Some for the dog and some for the cats.

Arriving back at home I fed some to the cats and put the rest into the cabinet. The cats tried some but didn't seem to care for it. Then dinner time came for Kiernan. I took a sample bag from the cabinet and poured it into his bowl. He tried a bit, and then gobbled the rest of the bowl. He then walked over to the cabinet and just stood there staring at it. That's it dog, no more until tomorrow. I took my cup of coffee, went into the living room, and sat down to watch the news. I wondered where the dog was. He was way too quiet which usually indicates that he is getting into some kind of trouble. I return to the kitchen and see him sitting there, staring at the cabinet wagging his tail, as if he could will some of that wonderful food out of it. What is in this food!

I return to the living room I am accosted by the cats. Not liking the food they were hungry and were sure to let me know, jumping on me meowing. The dog came in and decided to join in barking and howling like the hound that he is. This was going to be a long night. They finally tired themselves out and went to sleep. Thank God! I was losing my mind.

The next morning, it starts all over. I try to give Kiernan some of his regular food, but he won't eat it. The cats are still hungry and still meowing. I escape and head to work. At lunch time I pick up a bag of cat chow. At least they will be happy. When I get home I feed the cats. They purr like mad and begin eating. Kiernan lays near his bowl (still full) and stares at the cabinet. I relent taking out another sample bag. I am going to trick him mixing some of his regular food with some of the other stuff. He is too smart for that. He ate the good stuff and left the dog chow in the bowl.

The same scenario played out for several days, until I ran out of the Taste of the Wild. Today I purchased a 30 lb bag of the good stuff for the damn dog. He is quite happy sleeping with a full belly. Now what am I going to eat hot dogs or mac and cheese? There aren't many options until pay day rolls around again. I just hope my dog doesn't need more food.

No comments:

Post a Comment