Saturday, December 5, 2009

Family and Holidays

For over 40 years my mother has hosted Thanksgiving dinner at her house. My entire family would be invited. My mother is one of six children and I am one of seven. The entire extended family would be invited to the festivities. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and family friends would all gather and share a great meal. Mom would begin her day at 4 a.m. and continue until about 11 p.m. This year she passed the baton to my sister. Did my sister know what she was about to undertake? I spoke to her the day before Thanksgiving to see how things were going. She appeared to be pretty stressed out so I asked her what time the heavy drinking would commence. Just joking with her seemed to relax her.

On Thanksgiving day the horde descended on her home. All told 28 people (adults and many children) assembled for the festivities. The food was excellent. We all sat and ate a traditional meal. Over pie and coffee we reminisced about holidays past. It was a wonderful day. Thanks MB.

No comments:

Post a Comment